ACADEMICS AND HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT
Food Processing sector in India is poised to take off in a big way. India proposes to increase the world trade of processed foods from 1.5% to 3.0% by 2015. to achieve this growth and to improve upon it in the future, the sector needs technically trained manpower who are leaders and who can compete with big giants in food processing.
Considering vital importance, NIFTEM-T offers B.Tech., M.Tech. and Ph.D. programs in starting from 2009-10 academic year.
- B.Tech (Food Technology) – 8 semesters /4 years - 90 seats
Students are admitted based on all India basis competitive exam,JEE (Main)through Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB).
- M.Tech (Food Technology) Food Process Engineering - 4 semesters /2 years - 12 seats
- M.Tech (Food Technology) Food Process Technology - 4 semesters /2 years - 12 seats
- M.Tech (Food Technology) Food Safety & Quality Assurance - 4 semesters /2 years - 12 seats
A candidate who has undergone course credit system with a minimum OGPA of 3.00 out of 4.00 or 7.00 out of 10 or 70% aggregate alone is eligible to apply. However, for SC/ST candidates a pass in the qualifying degree is sufficient. Selection is purely based on merit basis only. Ranking will be done based on undergraduate marks (30% weightage) and NIFTEM-T Entrance Examination (70% weightage).NIFTEM-T Entrance Examination will be conducted only at NIFTEM Thanjavur main campus.
Ph. D Program
- Ph.D (Food Technology) Food Process Engineering- 6 semesters /3 years - 8 seats
- Ph.D (Food Technology) Food Process Technology - 6 semesters /3 years - 8 seats
A candidate who has undergone course credit system with a minimum OGPA of 3.00 out of 4.00 or 7.00 out of 10 or 70% aggregate alone is eligible to apply. However, for SC/ST candidates a pass in the qualifying degree is sufficient. Selection is purely based on merit basis only. Ranking will be done based on undergraduate & postgraduate marks and short written test followed by Personal interview.Short written test and Personal interview will be conducted only at NIFTEM Thanjavur main campus.
We have International understanding with many institutions in Canada, USA and other countries. we send our undergraduate students for short term exposure or our graduate students for long term research training works. These training and research exposures help to create leaders in food processing who can take Indian food processing sector to greater heights.
We strive hard to create globally competitive manpower and we achieve this by the following many special qualities of our academic program:
- Our curriculum is very well laid out after careful discussions amongst peers at national and international levels.
- We have a good mix of theoretical and hands-on training in the curriculum.
- Our laboratory facilities are of international standards.
- Our professors have wide international exposures and contacts.
- We send our students to villages to get first hand information on the problems faced by producers and the current status of production, storage, handling and marketing of foods.
- On the other hand, our students are send to reputed international institutions around the world for exposure visits, short term trainings or research experiences in advanced laboratories.
- These rural and international exposure help to create globally competitive manpower.
Dr. M. Loganathan
Professor and Head
Specialization :Storage Entomology
Dr. V.Eyarkai Nambi
Specialization : Machine Vision Systems
Dr. M.R. Bivin
Associate Professor (C) - Mathematics
Specialization : GAI-2 Sequence Spaces
The Institute knowledge centre is having more than 28742 of documents consisting of Technical books, reports, standards, CD-ROMS and back volumes of journals. The library subscribes to 54 periodicals and 1500+ e-books besides a holding of 840 back volumes of journals. Wi-Fi facility has been provided for laptop users. CCTV Web cameras have been fixed in the Knowledge Centre and the entire building is under camera surveillance.